Tri-phala: “Tri” meaning “three” and “phala” meaning “fruit”.
TRIPHALA is an Ayurvedic herbal formula consisting powder from three fruits: amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki. These three different fruits have different healing properties and the final product TRIPHALA is a brilliant traditional formula used for treating different pains or ailments. It is most commonly used for digestion and bowel problems. It is considered as the immensely valuable herbal formula since it is used for cancer treatments, gastrointestinal malfunctions, infections, inflammation and immune system malfunction.
The ingredients of triphala also have many uses individually:
- AMALAKI (amla): it is considered as the highest natural source of vitamin C, even better than an orange.
- BIBHITAKI (bihara): it contains the properties of astringent and is seen as a good digestive tonic.
- HARITAKI (harada): its paste is effective in reducing swelling, hastening the healing process and cleansing the wounds and ulcers.
Consisting of five tastes which are recognizable in Ayurveda (sweet, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent) Triphala does not have a salty taste to itself.
HOW TO USE TRIPHALA:
Triphala can be easily obtained from a pharmacy or one can also order it online. It is available in a fine powder form known as TRIPHALA CHURNA or a as a capsule called TRIPHALA TABLETS or in the form of liquid extracts. It is usually taken on an empty stomach and there are few methods to consume it.
1. Triphala tea: One can take Triphala in the form of a tea and it is very easy to make. Boil a cup of water and then add half teaspoon of the Triphala powder to the cup of hot water. Add a teaspoon of honey to cancel the bitterness of the powder. This concoction is a very comfortable way of ingesting Triphala since the amount taken is less and the tea prepared leaves you with a relaxing effect.
2. Triphala Tablets: These tablets are mostly taken once or twice before meals in a day. One can check the intake according to their convenience. Avoid digesting too many tablets as it can lead to loose stools.
3. Eyewash water: soak one teaspoon Triphala powder in lukewarm water overnight. Filter the soaked mixture the next morning and use the sieved water to wash the eyes. This helps in improving the vision of the eyes as well as reducing the redness in the eyes caused due to chronic stress.
KEY BENEFITS OF TRIPHALA
One cannot stress enough how beneficial Triphala is for the body if taken in correct amount. Being an herbal mixture, it is a natural supplement unlike other synthetic materials. Though it is not effective for everybody (like pregnant women and people suffering from diabetes), it still has various properties which helps others.
- Weight loss: Triphala aids digestion and encourage bowel movements. It acts as a toner for colon as it strengthens and tones the tissues of the colon. The function of colon is to release toxic and waste products from the body and to create a healthy body. Triphala helps fighting the constipation and inflammation of the digestive tract. Studies have shown that with regular and controlled intake of Triphala, one observes weight loss if they follow a healthy lifestyle along with it. Triphala is able to get rid of fat which is stuck in the intestines which results in weight loss. Being a natural supplement it is a better weight loss mechanism than other artificial sources.
- Bowel Movement: Triphala contains anti-bacterial properties which helps in stimulating the metabolism of the body and thus results in easy functioning of the digestive system. If one has good bowel movement every day, they will be able to focus more on their work and have good day.
- Blood Purification: Triphala churna helps in releasing the toxic and waste products from the body. It stimulates bile secretion and detoxifies the liver which in turn purifies the blood and improves blood circulation in the body.