Surya Namaskar or as it is known as Sun Salutation is a yoga routine to pay respects to Sun. It is considered a way of acknowledging sun as the source of all things living on this planet and praising it for providing life.
Surya Namaskar Asana consists of 12 different yoga postures which are done in sequence. The postures collectively help you stretch all the body parts. Not only this asana is good for weight loss but it is actually seen as boon for healthy body and peaceful mind. By practicing Surya Namaskar Asana, we are not only paying our salutations to the sun but we are also connecting with the nature and with our own body and soul. Its most effective when performed in front of a rising Sun otherwise, one can also do it in a room and in the evening, as per their convenience.
List of postures in Surya Namaskar Asana:
1) Pranam Asana- Prayer pose
2) Hasta Uttan Asana- Raised arm pose
3) Hastapaad Asana- Hand to foot pose
4) Aekpaadprasarna Asana-Equestrian pose
5) Adho Mukha Svan Asana-Mountain pose
6) Ashtanga Namaskar-Salute with eight parts
7) Bhujang Asana-Cobra pose
8) Adhi Mukha Svan Asana-Mountain pose
9) Ashwa Sanchalan Asana-Equestrian pose
10) Uttan Asana-Hand to foot pose
11) Hasta Uttan Asana-Raised arm pose
12) Pranam Asana-Prayer pose
Some benefits one gains out of practicing Surya Namaskar Asana daily are:
• It helps you connect with your mind, body and soul and refresh one’s inner workings of the body.
• Daily use of this routine can results in weight loss. When done at a fast pace, the 12 asanas helps you unwind your body and stretch each part. Doing surya namskar continuously for 12-15 times in about 15 minutes, burns more than 250 calories.
• It is not restricted by time, one can practice this routine at any time of the day and it will still help to refresh your mind.
• It also assists in stimulating the nervous system including the brain, lower plexus and the spinal cord. It aids in building focus and concentration and boosts functioning of the brain.
• The overall body movement results in blood circulation in the body including the scalp region. This in turn enhances the growth and health of hair and hair follicles. The mountain pose and the forward bending pose makes the blood flow, massaging the scalp region.
• If one practices surya namskar asana daily on a timed schedule, he or she can attain glowing skin within few weeks. The asana helps in eliminating waste and toxic materials through the skin and also purifies the blood gradually. The outcome of this routine is a healthy and glowing skin naturally and without any skin supplements.
Surya Namaskar Asana is an effective and efficient way to attain a healthy and peaceful body, mind and soul. It is a simple way and free of charge path to refresh one’s mind with the help of different poses. The efficiency of this asana also depends on the time and pace of it. Though it is recommended to follow this routine early in the morning as the rays of the rising sun activates and rejuvenates the muscles and bones of the body, still one can also practice it during the day and evening.